Shine Foundation is a NYC-based nonprofit on a mission to empower survivors of domestic violence through financial literacy. We deliver group workshops on everything from building credit to budgeting to overcoming job hurdles to the most vulnerable – survivors in shelter who have become homeless after leaving their abusers. With the help of a diverse network of volunteers and no paid staff, we have assisted almost 400 survivors in only 4 years. We invite you to join us in helping more survivors thrive, financially!
We are looking for flexible, empathetic individuals with a “roll-up-your-sleeves” attitude to support our classes and serve as a “catch all” for any project needs. Support volunteers can be likened to teacher’s aides.
Shine assigns teams of facilitators and support volunteers to emergency shelter sites throughout NYC, prepares volunteers in a 6-8 hour intensive training and provides facilitators and support volunteers with a trauma-informed financial curriculum. In return, we’re looking for facilitators and support to deliver the curriculum at the assigned sites.
- Facilitate classes, as needed.
- Conduct research in preparation for classes and programs.
- Assist facilitators in designing activities and handouts for classes.
- Assist in material purchases or print-outs for sessions, as needed.
- Record data from each class for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- Design flyers to advertise the classes.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment.
- Keen, creative eye for design and user experience.
- Timely and detail oriented.
- Receptive to receiving and giving feedback.
- Proficiency with PowerPoint and/or other design software tools to create handouts.
- Availability to support in-person.
- Timeframe: One-year
- Weekly commitment: 1 to 4 hours (varies by person and team)
We invite all prospective volunteers to join us for a 45-minute virtual info session. Following the info session and depending on mutual interest, we then proceed with an online application and 1-on-1 interview.