Shine Foundation, Inc. (Shine) is a volunteer-led nonprofit startup, based in NYC, on a mission to provide homeless survivors of domestic violence with the financial tools and knowledge to live financially healthy lives. To-date, we have assisted more than 300 survivors and their families build the skills to boost their credit scores, create budgets and seek employment, and are keen to assist even more this coming year. Join us to advance our mission and help more survivors thrive financially!
We are looking for flexible, empathetic individuals with a “roll-up-your-sleeves” attitude to support our classes and serve as a “catch all” for any project needs. Support volunteers can be likened to teacher’s aides.
Shine assigns teams of facilitators and support volunteers to emergency shelter sites throughout NYC, prepares volunteers in a 6-8 hour intensive training and provides facilitators and support volunteers with a trauma-informed financial curriculum. In return, we’re looking for facilitators and support to deliver the curriculum at the assigned sites.
- Facilitate classes, as needed.
- Conduct research in preparation for classes and programs.
- Assist facilitators in designing activities and handouts for classes.
- Assist in material purchases or print-outs for sessions, as needed.
- Record data from each class for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- Design flyers to advertise the classes.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment.
- Keen, creative eye for design and user experience.
- Timely and detail oriented.
- Receptive to receiving and giving feedback.
- Proficiency with PowerPoint and/or other design software tools to create handouts.
- Availability to support in-person.
- Timeframe: One-year
- Weekly commitment: 3 to 4 hours + travel to shelter sites in NYC
After you apply, our recruitment team will be in touch to invite you to an information session on the first Thursday evening, 7-8pm, of every month (date may be subject to change). Depending on mutual interest, we then proceed with a 1:1 behavioral interview and background check before moving into a 6-8 hour training.