Shine Foundation, Inc. (Shine) is an all volunteer-led, nonprofit startup, based in NYC, on a mission to provide homeless survivors of domestic violence with the financial tools and knowledge to live financially healthy lives. To-date, we have assisted more than 300 survivors and their families build the skills to boost their credit scores, create budgets and seek employment, and are keen to assist even more this coming year. Join us to advance our mission and help even more survivors thrive, financially!
This is an exciting time to join Shine’s Board to guide the organization as we pivot and grow.
The Secretary can be likened to the PMO of the Board, providing detailed support to the Board to ensure its smooth operations. Given Shine’s small size, the Secretary may be required to provide more support than what would be expected in a larger organization with paid staff.
- Organize and document the Board meetings
- Prepare Board meeting agendas with the Chair and any necessary materials
- Take and maintain Board meeting minutes
- Ensure quorum at Board meetings
- Maintain effective records and administration
- Create and manage documentation for all activities of the Board
- Hold custody of all records and reports of the corporation, especially the governing documents
- Keep up-to-date contact details of members within the organization
- Ensure adherence to internal timelines and agreed actions
- Manage the corporation’s required filings
- Uphold corporation’s legal requirements, including tracking the development of policies and renewal of governing documents
- Communicate regularly with Board members
- Perform other duties outside of this role, within his/her ability and as needed
- Fervent desire to help the organization’s beneficiaries and advance the organization’s mission
- Strong organizational skills with an eye for detail
- Comfort with the “unknown”
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- “Roll-up your sleeves” attitude
- Team player, with strong interpersonal skills
- J.D. preferred
- Experience in a startup environment preferred
- Ability to commit through Dec 31, 2019
Time commitment: Monthly 1-hour meetings, and about 5-10 hours/month outside of the meetings. However, we ask for your flexibility in this estimate.
Application details: To apply, please submit your resume below.