The Wonderful, Limitless Lemon!
The ancient Egyptians believed that eating lemons or drinking lemon juice could help protect a person from poison. This is, in fact, true. The power of lemons is incredible! Of course, they taste delicious in cakes, bars, cocktails, and more. You can squeeze a lemon onto a salad as a homemade dressing to reduce your fat intake, or juice a lemon into a glass of water for a tasty drink that can aid weight loss by increasing the production of stomach acid and the activity of stomach muscles. The juice will help flush out the toxins in your body by enhancing enzyme function and stimulating your liver, will help with digestion, and will reduce symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, burping, and bloating. You will also receive a wonderful boost of energy without the sometimes crashed feeling you might get from caffeine.
Other benefits include:
- Relief from inflammation, since lemons can help remove acidity from your body. They can even help eliminate uric acid from your joints.
- Lemons are a wonderful source of Vitamin C which helps your immune system.
- Lemons contain liminoids; many studies have shown that these compounds can protect your cells from damage leading to the formation of cancer cells.
Here are some other wonderful secrets of lemons. They help to:
- Decrease LDL or “bad” cholesterol
- Alleviate a sore throat
- Cure acne and eczema when placed directly on the skin
- Prevent kidney stones by raising the citrate levels in our urine
- And here is one of my favorite secrets that I learned from an Egyptian scuba diving coach: try sucking on lemons when you feel seasick. I guarantee it helps, and it’s healthier than any med out there!
If you choose to eat/drink lemons without diluting them, then it’s always a good idea to drink a water chaser to protect your teeth.
So go ahead, treat yourself to some all natural lemon in your next healthy drink, squeeze some onto your next meal, or treat your skin to a lemon scrub. Enjoy!